Here are the problems with training your staff, and believe me I have heard them all.
1) Sales go up for a few weeks and then they fall right back down to where they used to be or just slightly above previous levels.
Training has to be consistent and ongoing. Most people retain about 25% of the information given during a training session. Training has to be 24/7/365.
2) They are not doing it.
Have you followed the 5 criteria for training? People have to hear it, read it, write it, role-play it, & be observed doing it in live presentations.
3) What if I train my staff and then they leave and go to my competition.
What if you don’t train them and then they decide to stay with you?
4) I don’t have time to do training.
Tell that to your doctor, lawyer, dentist, electrician, auto mechanic, airline pilot, semi-truck driver, military person, accountant, financial planner, etc. and let me know their reaction.
5) I will have to pay overtime for my people to come to training.
The benefits far outweigh the costs when employees apply the training.
6) I run out of material.
Then, just like 85% of other jewelers, you are not using a formal training program.
7) They don’t seem to remember the information that I give them.
Refer to the 5 criteria for training as detailed in number 1.
8) My training sessions become gripe sessions.
You have lost control of your meetings and need to have a pre-planned agenda.
9) I already trained my staff.
And yet they are doing the same things that they have always done and getting the same results. Sounds like a management issue. I can’t tell you how many stores I have been in that have trained their staff and they still say things like “Can I help you?” “Will that be all?” “Here’s my card, when you are ready come on back,” etc.
10) I am waiting until I get a more stable staff to do training.
Don’t wait too long. Your family, check book, creditors, vendors, etc. are counting on you to be successful. I will go to the grave believing that people are good, the reason they don’t produce is because they don’t know what they don’t know and they are managing based on opinions, not facts. Nobody ever takes a job wanting to fail!
11) They don’t want the training.
You either have the wrong people in place – or they don’t know what they don’t know.
12) My people are naturally good salespeople.
I have met one born salesperson in my life. I have also met some great salespeople. Great salespeople always want more training and an extra edge to stay on top of their game.
13) Our products seem to sell themselves.
Then you must be the Walmart, Target, Sears, etc. of the industry.
14) Training is too expensive.
Training is very expensive if you don’t have it and use it. Training is priceless when used and implemented.
15) My training isn’t consistent.
See the answer to number 6.
16) They lose their focus.
It is the consistent application of good, sound business principles that will guarantee your success. Training, Accountability, Goals, Non-Negotiable Standards and a Training Process are all good, sound business principles.
17) I have an experienced staff.
You still need to create an environment of personal growth and education. Surround yourself with people that want to get better as professionals and as human beings and you can’t help but be successful. I know a lot of experienced people who have been in the industry forever and need training. Ask yourself do they have 10 years of experience or one year of experience 10 times?
Here are some of the benefits of training.
1) Increased sales and profits.
2) Increased value of your business.
3) Being able to work because you want to, not because you have to.
4) A happy staff that wants to stay and grow with the business.
5) Happy customers who keep coming back to your store.
6) A fun, happy, productive workplace environment.
7) Being able to work on your business, not in your business.
8) Able to pay your people more money and enjoy some of the better things in life.
9) Creating a winning culture where people are waiting in line to come to work for you.
10) A better life.
11) Increased worth to yourself, your family, your business and your community.
12) The solution - For less than the price of a good steak dinner for two you can now have Brad Huisken work directly with your staff via on-line webinar training. Call for details or see the press release on page 25 in this issue.