Did you ever wonder what mom really wants? Flowers wilt, candy is caloric, eating out is always stressful and may not be the best option this Mother’s Day, but jewelry is a precious gift that never goes out of style. And did you know that historically more money is spent on jewelry for Mother’s Day than any other gift category?
This year Mother’s Day will be celebrated on Sunday, May 9th. Although the National Retail Federation (NRF) won’t report the 2020 Mother’s Day sales results until early April 2021, sales for Mother’s Day 2020 were expected to reach $204.74 billion. As always, jewelry was expected to be the category with the highest sales, with sales expected to reach $5.27 billion. The NRF ranks Mother’s Day as the 2nd holiday for overall spending. Mother’s Day outranks Valentine’s Day by billions, it is a significant shopping event and jewelers should take advantage.
For many consumers, the coronavirus has put a spotlight on opportunities to celebrate and show their loved ones they care. In fact, 78% say that celebrating Mother’s Day is important to them this year, given the current state of the pandemic. This sentiment shows up in spending plans as well: on average, consumers say they plan to spend $205 on cards, jewelry, flowers and other gifts for mom, approximately $8 more than last year. “Families are in an unusual position this year,” Prosper Insights Executive Vice President of Strategy Phil Rist said. “Some consumers are looking to make up for the fact they can’t take mom out by sending her something a little extra special this year.”
Even in the midst of the current uncertainty, consumers are hopeful their daily lives and routines will return to normal in time for Mother’s Day. But for some, those special outings might take place as a socially distant walk or standing on mom’s lawn to wave “hello.” Instead of taking mom out for her favorite treat, consumers may opt for a gift card to a local restaurant or a delivery from her favorite bakery. Jewelers can also provide ‘gifts to go’ and one-stop shopping by offering “A Top 10 Mother’s Day Wish List”. Feature 10 items that are in stock, ranging in price points for easy selection and provide free gift wrapping & gift cards. Mother’s Day magic!
Mother’s Day Gifting Goals:
- Give Mom a gift that keeps on giving. Flowers wilt and take-out dinners are nice but not lasing. Jewelry is a gift that keeps on giving. A piece of precious metal jewelry can give mom pleasure every day she wears it for years to come.
- Give something unique or memorable. Many shoppers are interested in finding something special. What could be more unique than selecting a special piece of jewelry for mom; a birthstone necklace, the ring that she always wanted, or what is more memorable than a charm bracelet with all of moms’ favorite things?
- Something that’s convenient. This is an easy one for jewelers. Offer a selection of key pieces at varying price points, add free gift wrapping and have little gift cards on hand to create one stop shopping. Would Amazon or a department store be able to offer these services?
- Finding a gift that’s more cost effective. Again, this is where jewelry is the best option. You could calculate the cost per wear for any piece which would outperform any other gift. As for cost effective – this is where STERLING SILVER shines. This precious metal category is not only cost effective, but will never go out of fashion. A forever keepsake with styles suitable for every budget.
- Customers are looking for inspiration. Hunting down the perfect gift for Mom can be a daunting task. Regardless of gender, age or income, those shopping for Mother’s Day gifts welcome ideas, and who is more skilled in this area than jewelry retailers to suggest ideas for the perfect gift?
- A shift in gift spending. Surveys say that people plan to spend more on electronics and home goods for Mother’s Day, but think of all of the dollars that would have been spent on dinners out and spa days. It’s your time to make suggestions for jewelry items that will be enjoyed for years.
By the Numbers*
Here’s the breakdown of where those dollars will end up going:
- Jewelry: $5.27 billion
- Special outings like brunch or dinner: $4.6 billion
- Flowers: $2.6 billion
- Gift cards: $2.6 billion
- Clothing: $2.3 billion
- Electronics: $2.2 billion
- Personal services like spa treatments: $2 billion
- Spending on Mother’s Day jewelry has increased from $2.3 billion in 2009 to over $5.2 billion today.
(*estimated by NRF for Mother’s Day 2020)
So, the facts are there – Mother’s Day presents a great opportunity for the jeweler and silver jewelry designs offer price points to fit any budget and please every mom.
Here are some headlines and copy points to include in your communication:
- There’s no greater gift than a Mother’s love
- XXX Jewelers – Your Mother’s Day Gift Shop
- Celebrate Mom – Treat her to the perfect gift
- We’ve got the perfect gift she’ll simply love
- The gifts we love most for our own moms!
- Surprise her with a special gift to celebrate her style
- Because she deserves it… Find the perfect gift for Mother’s Day
- Mother’s Day is May 9th. We’ve got the best gifts, for the best moms.
- This Mother’s Day, give mom a gift like no other
- Mother’s Day. Celebrate her with a special gift
- For Her: Mother’s Day Gift Guide
- Easy Mother’s Day Gifting
Now, pull together a few cases of jewelry featuring items that you know are best sellers. Focus one case on price points under $500, and another case that highlights unique items and items that can be personalized. Be transparent with your pricing. A good salesperson can always sell up, but if you lose a customer you lose a sale! Offer to post Mom and Me photos and be sure to mention the coordinating pieces and stacking ideas for future purchases.