How designer-centric is your store? Are you taking advantage of all that designers can offer? Share the secret of successful stores leveraging this hot trend. Take the following fast, fun quiz to see where you stand. Circle True or False:
- We’ve hosted 2 or more designer Trunk Shows in the last 12 months. T F
- We regularly feature two or more designer collections in the store with special designer jewelry areas featuring catalogs, brochures and displays. T F
- We offer staff training seminars with the story behind the designer line and latest editions to their collections. Our staff personally know and work with the designers we feature. T F
- When our designers launch new collections we promote the latest and hottest with Facebook pictures and e-mail blasts. We entice our customers in store noting the newest, freshest offerings. T F
- We regularly attend trade shows and seminars and review trade magazines to become aware of emerging designers and established designers’ newest collections and emerging trends. T F
- Designer collections are prominently featured on our website which we regularly update with the latest collections and photos. T F
- We know each designer’s story, their unique vision and inspiration, and actively promote it. We romance the sale with the story behind the line. T F
- Our customers are clearly aware of each designer’s line and how our store’s pieces fit in. Based on a client’s preferences we suggest other offerings from the designer’s broader collections that would coordinate. T F
- We frequently update and add to designer collections through stock balancing, purchase and memo, keeping inventory fresh. We follow designer recommendations on best sellers and keep them in stock, replacing best sellers as soon as sold. T F
- We work with our local press to feature our designers through Trunk Show promotions and radio, magazine, newspaper or TV interviews with the designer. We promote our designers’ in-store appearances with videos and Facebook Live events. T F
How did you do? Total your number of True responses.
9-10 Congratulations! Your store is designer-centric. You’re the store in the know, the go-to store for those seeking the latest and hottest in fashion and style. You’ve realized the power of branding and are using it to full advantage to maximize profits.
7-8 Well done! You’re a budding designer-centric store.
5-6 You’re on the right track, getting your feet wet by trying out the advantages of featuring designers.
3-4 You could add another engine to your sales.
0-2 Trunk Show? What’s a Trunk Show?
No matter how you did, you can continue to make use of and expand the power of designers to boost your bottom line. Designers help you succeed by:
- Adding value. Through the power of branding and promotion, designer lines add value to your inventory. The perceived added value of designer brands acts as a magnet for your clients. Designer means high-end.
- Bringing the story. It’s the story that sells. It adds romance and color. Millennials especially seek a personalized experience with a meaningful backstory to make it personal. The designer herself, her background, her inspiration, her evolving collections, all add the personal touch customers crave.
- Providing coherent, evolving collections. A ring, pendant or bracelet that’s part of a cohesive larger collection is much easier to sell than a single piece. The collection adds power. Add-on sales are a natural. Designers are continually updating and adding new collections, keeping your inventory fresh and exciting.
- Acting as your PR arm. Add another engine to your sales by using all your designer can offer – Trunk Shows and other live appearances, publicity materials, co-op advertising, interviews, even personally contacting and following up with clients.
So wherever you are now, add some magic by increasing your store’s designer profile. Become designer-centric !
Mia Katrin is an award-winning jewelry designer featured in over 100 top stores nationally. She is available for lectures and seminars. To add her Collections or book a lecture: www.jeweljewel.com, 877-539-3569, facebook.com/MiaKatrinforJEWELCOUTURELLC, subscribe to her YouTube channel www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B-53XBuB_HD5-bofc5jAA