Your jewelry shop is finally making an impression on social media. Your store is also getting a lot of visitors. There’s no denying that your marketing strategies are effective! Now, it’s time to get into the selling side of your business. Good thing, website platforms make this task easier.
What should you look for in a website platform?
- Speed/performance – Does the site load fast with a single click, or is it taking forever to load a photo?
- Flexibility – Is your site flexible to your needs? Can you modify it according to your preferences?
- Security – Does it support Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS), which protects your customers from fraud?
- E-commerce Features – Does your site’s e-commerce features provide a straightforward approach to the selling process?
- SEO-Compliant – Is your website format compliant in terms of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) standards?
Top 3 Popular Platforms for your Jewelry Store
As jewelry store owners, the maintenance of your website is probably more important than building it. Therefore, it would help if you also looked into the trust and confidence ratings of the platforms you use.
Here are the top three web platforms that are trusted by other business owners worldwide:
1. Shopify – While most platforms are free, Shopify isn’t. But, what attracts more than 1.7 million merchants to use this hosted software platform is its simplicity. Imagine creating a jewelry store with zero coding at all!
PROS: Easy to use, no need for coding and programming, and you can promote and sell jewelry on other sales channels such as Facebook, Amazon, and eBay.
CONS: Expensive and imposes transaction fees on customers unless they activate Shopify Payments
2. Magento – Magento offers free and paid subscriptions to over 250,000 merchants, which typically consists of medium to large businesses. This platform offers flexibility that is somewhat geared towards professionals.
PROS: Flexible, robust, and has the most advanced security features (Thanks to Magento Patches and security extensions)
CONS: Challenging to learn if you don’t have a background in coding and programming.
3. WooCommerce – WooCommerce is probably the most popular e-commerce platform in the market, with over 3.8 million users worldwide. Thanks to WordPress, which has integrated WooCommerce as part of its plug-in, you could now manage your blog and online store simultaneously.
PROS: Popular, easy to use, and perfect for startup shops and those who are comfortable working in a WordPress environment.
CONS: Domain name and hosting services are not included, but you have to purchase them anyway.
What about Proprietary Websites?
Proprietary sites are websites that are created using private or closed-source technology. This kind of site may sound tempting at first. Envision having a website that is solely designed especially for you without paying costly fees. But, we highly discourage it.
When you choose a proprietary platform, you are essentially marrying a web developer. If you fall out of love, getting a divorce is not easy or cheap. It certainly can break your heart, and we want to prevent that.
So, what do we recommend for your jewelry store?
Here at Jewelry Store Marketers, we swear by the WooCommerce platform. There are many reasons why WooCommerce is popular among online jewelry retailers. But, WooCommerce’s integration with WordPress along with its simple interface probably top the list.
Advertising your jewelry products is one thing, but selling the actual items is at a whole different level. If you have questions about websites, give us a call. We can explain all the options and help you decide which will work best for your jewelry store.