Dallas-based Kim International Manufacturing (KIM) has served independent jewelers since 1975. Now, more than ever, the company believes it’s time for independent jewelers to rethink how they do business in the new era created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
“This has upended an entire industry’s plans as trade shows are rescheduled, buying patterns are changed and companies try to maneuver the new normal,” says C. Mike Kim, President of KIM. “We are all in this together, and KIM is here to help with critical services and exceptional products to help our retailers succeed and thrive during these unprecedented times.”
KIM provides high-quality products at super-competitive price points, Mike says. “Our signature Romance Bridal Collection is one of the most comprehensive and profitable bridal programs in the industry. It also features a CZ sample program and SPIF employee reward program. Our fashion collections, Tesoro 14kt Gold and Eleganza 18kt Gold & Silver, offer classic designs and are priced for quick turn.
“But it takes more than just good products to help retailers succeed. Our goal is to also offer the resources to help them stand out in their market and drive more customers to their stores.”
Here are some of the essential services KIM provides:
- Dedicated KIM sales professionals: Retailers can work with their personal KIM sales professional in the safety and comfort of their store. KIM’s reps will use their years of experience and expertise to offer advice on fast sellers and strategies to help increase sales. With many trade shows postponed or canceled, KIM believes this is the safest and most convenient way to work together to make sure customers have the perfect product mix and the tools to promote it.
- In-stock items: Most of KIM’s items are in-stock in Dallas and are available for same-day shipping. “Today’s consumers want it, and they want it now,” Mike says. “Don’t miss a sale because items are out of stock or slow to ship.”
- Quick custom design: KIM is known for solving custom ring problems with its knowledgeable staff and its own production facility. All of KIM’s custom department personnel are U.S.-based, native-English speakers. “Whether it is a more custom ring or just a slight modification of our existing styles, we provide quick turnaround, great value and the same incredible quality and workmanship you have come to expect from KIM,” Mike says. CAD renderings are free, and KIM provides retailers with a photo-realistic rendering within 24 hours. Upon approval, KIM makes the ring in its factory, shipping the finished piece in about seven to 10 days. All custom rings and bands are produced using the same quality diamonds and craftsmanship as KIM’s other bridal collections and carry a lifetime warranty.
- Complete website solution: Customers need to look at their digital strategy and realize the importance of a good website now more than ever, Mike says. “It is the one lifeline they have to consumers 24/7. KIM is partnering with Thinkspace, a company delivering the best technology in the jewelry industry, to offer our customers an easy, affordable, modern website solution.” The sites are mobile friendly, SEO optimized, e-commerce enabled and feature social media and blog integration. Each site is personalized for retailers with their color scheme, choice of other jewelry brands, “about us” and “contact us” pages, jewelry education pages and live diamond feed. Because KIM has invested the time and money in advance for development, Mike says, the sites are offered at affordable rates and can be launched within a few weeks.
- Digital and print marketing support: KIM’s marketing department provides many complimentary services, including beautiful graphics that can be resized and personalized for a retailer’s store. KIM provides program catalogs, posters and duratrans, along with TV loop plugs that play on any smart TV. Graphics are provided for ads, billboards and banners. The company also provides access to hundreds of images to use on retailers’ social media platforms. For retailers’ websites, KIM offers i-frame embed solutions or csv files and high-res images.
- Social media promotion: Many stores started to realize the importance of social media during the pandemic as a vital way to reach their audience. KIM has joined forces with Red Rocket, a social media marketing agency. “Social media is one of the most affordable types of digital advertising and can be targeted to your specific markets,” Mike says. “Simply posting is not enough. In order to get real results, you must invest in paid social media marketing. By using Red Rocket’s volume buying power with paid advertising, you can generate proven results more cost-effectively and strategically target customers in your market. It’s easy. KIM will provide fresh, relevant content and images for each post. Red Rocket will post on your behalf to your Facebook and Instagram accounts and target your chosen audience with paid boost/ads. The main reason you should be on social media is because your customers are on social media.”
Kim International Manufacturing was founded by Mike’s father, B.K. Kim, 45 years ago. Today the company is still owned and operated by the Kim family. As President, Mike handles daily operations of the Dallas office and oversees manufacturing in KIM’s overseas factory. Mike’s sister, Aeran Kim, is Vice President and head of the diamond division, which handles design and creation of the company’s bridal and fashion lines.
B.K. Kim is retired and has celebrated his 90th birthday, but he still comes to the office frequently to visit with the staff and reminisce with interesting stories about his journey from South Korea to America. “His hard work and dedication is what this company was founded on,” Mike says. “We strive to sustain his legacy and offer that same dedication and service to our customers.”
Along with its home office in Dallas, KIM owns its own factory in China. “We are not an importer, but a manufacturer who carefully crafts all our jewelry,” Mike says. “Having our own design staff and manufacturing facility allows us to control the process from concept to completion. That is why we can offer such quick turn on our custom jobs as well as ensuring the quality of all our product.”
As a member of the Responsible Jewellery Council, KIM commits to operating its business in accordance with the RJC Code of Practices. “KIM adheres to integrating ethical, human rights, social and environmental considerations into our day-to-day operations, business planning activities and decision-making processes,” Mike says. “KIM is fully committed to sourcing only ethically obtained and conflict-free diamonds and metals. Since we source our materials and manufacture our product, you can be assured of the quality and integrity of every item.”