Thailand’s Friend Award presented, preventative measures against COVID-19 implemented
At the 65th Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair, the Department of International Trade Promotion (DITP), the Ministry of Commerce of Thailand presented the inaugural ” Thailand’s Friend Award 2020″, the policies of Mr. Jurin Laksanawisit, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Commerce, which aim to revitalize the Thai economy, proactively promote international trade, expand business network, and create new opportunities for Thai products and services.
The DITP has also announced that it is cooperating with the private sector to implement preventive measures to address concerns about the COVID-19 virus in order to ensure safety of attendees at the fair and welcome buyers from over 100 nations.
Dr. Sansern Samalapa, Vice Minister for Commerce, who presided over the opening ceremony said that the Ministry has presented the “Thailand’s Friend Award 2020” with the objective to promote fruitful relationships and express gratitude to those who are key exporters of Thai products, those who have played a role in creating new business opportunities and those who are influencers in the online community who have helped maintain, expand, and revitalize the Thai export market.
Mr. Somdet Susomboon, Director-General of DITP, stated the 65th Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair coordinated with the Ministry of Public Health Department of Disease Control as well as related agencies to fully implement preventative measures against COVID-19 in the area as per international protocol.
The 65th Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Fair attracted a large number of Thai and international exhibitors – 972 Thai and international exhibitors participating in 2,054 booths. The fair is the only gems and jewelry fair to be held in the region in February and provides a platform for professionals in the gems and jewelry industry to seek the raw materials and products that they need while meeting buyers from around the world.
Special activities at the Fair include:
- Siam Silver Showcase: Silver jewelry exhibition featuring five trends of silver jewelry, from Generation Silver, Modern Heritage, Fashion Charm, Urban Tribe, to Lifestyle Silverware. Participants can also join in silver jewelry workshops.
- Networking Reception: Held under the theme of Bangkok Gems & Jewelry Elite Club, the reception offers a special platform for key figures in the gems and jewelry industry with an exclusive club.
- The New Faces: An exhibition featuring over 170 new exhibitors.
- The Jewellers: An exhibition featuring 20 Thai designers displaying uniquely-designed jewelry pieces using innovative materials.
- Seminars and workshops: On topics relating to markets, products, design, and the use of e-commerce and social media tools for the gems and jewelry industry. An export clinic with commercial attachés is offered.
- Colored Stone Auction: Organized by Bonas Colored Gems, one of the world’s leading diamond tender houses.
In 2019, the gems and jewelry industry was Thailand’s third-highest exporting industry, worth over $15 billion USD, an increase of 30.91% compared to the previous year which accounted for 6.37% of the country’s total exports. Thailand is also the world’s number one exporter of silver jewelry as well as the world’s third largest exporter of colored stones.
The 65th Bangkok Gems and Jewelry Fair runs through February 29. For more information please visit http://www.bkkgems.com.