She assumes the role from the previous President, Mark Moeller, CGA, of R.F. Moeller Jeweler in
“I’m very much looking forward to working with Cathy,” said Ruth Batson, CEO and Executive Director of AGS. “She’s been a tireless advocate in her work and efforts on behalf of the American Gem Society, and she’s one of the most highly-respected, and beloved, professionals in our industry.”
“I am so excited, honored and thrilled,” said Calhoun. “I have always believed in the mission of The American Gem Society, and applied their tenets in my own business practice. We have an ambitious agenda ahead of us, and we intend to accomplish a lot, and have some fun with some great people along the way!”
Additionally, the AGS has released the list of its 2010-2011 Board of Directors, which is as follows:
- President Elect: David Gardner, CG
- Secretary: Louis Smith, CG
- Sr. Advisor: John Nash, CGA
- Treasurer: Kelly Kinas
- Director at Large: Scott Berg, CG
- Director at Large: Phyllis Bergman
- Director at Large: Dave Bonaparte
- Director at Large: Bev Hori, CG
- Director at Large: Kelly Newton, CGA
- Director at Large: Charles Rosario
- Chair: Conclave Sub-Committee, Louis Smith, CG
- Chair International Guilds Council: Laura Stanley, CGA
- Chair Gemological Sciences Committee: Douglas Parker, CG
- Chair Education Committee: Michael Richards, CG
- Chair Marketing Committee: Jeff High
- Chair Membership Committee: Bill Farmer, CGA
- Chair AGS Lab Board of Managers: Ronnie Cox, CG
The American Gem Society wishes to thank all of its board and committee members for their dedication to the Society, with a special thanks to Mark Moeller for his service as President for the past two years.
The Society would also like to thank Thomas Wright, CGA, for all his service on the Board in previous years. Wright, who was the Chair of the International Guilds Council, just completed his last term with the Board.
About Cathy Calhoun
In addition to Calhoun Jewelers, Ms. Calhoun owns Avanti Development, LLC, a commercial land development company, Main Street Cafe, and Spring City Elderly Housing. Ms. Calhoun sits on the board of Jewelers Mutual Insurance Company, Jewelers For Children, and Women’s Jewelry Association. She is the past President of the Gemological Institute of America Alumni Association, the Delaware Valley Guild, and the American Gem Society Keystone Guild.
In 2008, Calhoun Jewelers won the Pennsylvania Jeweler of the Year Award, given by the Pennsylvania Jewelers Association.
She has appeared on numerous television programs, including PBS’s “Antiques Road Show”, ABC’s “Good Morning America”, and “World News Tonight”. Aside from her passion for jewelry, Cathy is also a first degree black belt in karate, a licensed private pilot, scuba diver, gem hunter, and road rally driver.
For more information regarding the American Gem Society, please call 866-805-6500, or visit their website at www.AmericanGemSociety.org.