Always protect your business, your staff and yourself during a hurricane or major storm.
When it is deemed safe by authorities to return to your business, take precaution and follow the following steps.
After the Storm:
- Survey for damage. Take pictures of any damage to the buildings and their contents.
- Secure the building to protect it from further damage or looting.
- Contact your security company and insurance broker or carrier to report damage and receive advice about next steps.
- Avoid loose or dangling power lines and report them to the local utility company, police or fire department.
- Before utilities are returned to service, check for gas leaks, look for electrical system damage and check for sewage and water line damage.
- Begin salvage operations as soon as possible. Clean debris from roofs and property if safe to do so.
- Use telephone only for emergency calls.
- Stay tuned to local radio and the National Weather Service for information.
- Critique your pre- and post-storm actions to identify strengths and weaknesses and make necessary modifications to prepare for the next emergency.
Berkley Asset Protection Loss Prevention: berkleyassetpro.com/loss-prevention/
Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety: disastersafety.org
National Flood Insurance Program: FloodSmart.gov
American Red Cross: redcross.org/prepare/disaster/hurricane
Be proactive! Develop a plan and execute! For additional Loss Control tips, visit berkleyassetpro.com/loss-prevention/