(NEW YORK) – Jewelers of America (JA), the national trade association for businesses serving the fine jewelry marketplace, has announced the GEM Award nominees in the categories of Design, Marketing & Communications and Media Excellence. There are three talented nominees in each category; the winners will be announced live during the GEM Awards ceremony on Friday, January 9, 2015, at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York. The GEM Awards annual gala, considered the “Academy Awards” of the jewelry industry, honors individuals and brands whose work raises the visibility and status of fine jewelry and watches.
The nominees for the GEM Award for Design are:
• Alexis Bittar – A prolific creator of three distinct collections, Alexis is celebrated for his quality, range and integrity of design. Whether he is custom designing a thorn-like crown for Lady Gaga, outfitting First Lady Michelle Obama for the State of the Union Address or adorning the arm of a self-governed MoMA donor, Alexis honors individuality in all of its multifaceted forms.
• Stephen Webster – With an inimitable style created by the bold combination of innovative design, uncompromising attention to detail, and the finest materials, Stephen continues to dazzle by interpreting modern and diverse imagery via traditional, precision craftsmanship. Taking inspiration from music, fashion, literature and art, Stephen’s unique approach to fine jewelry has been some 40 years in the making.
• Todd Reed – Designing jewelry for over 20 years, Todd has spent his life immersed in art and high craft. All of Todd’s pieces are hand fabricated and finished in 18K gold, palladium, platinum, and silver in his Boulder, CO, studio. Even as his business has grown, each design starts with a sketch from Todd and each piece is a completely unique link to the overall design vision that is Todd Reed.
The nominees for the GEM Award for Marketing & Communications are:
• Forevermark® – A diamond brand from The De Beers Group of Companies, Forevermark benefits from over 125 years of diamond expertise. Forevermark diamonds are carefully selected and come from sources committed to high standards, are beautifully crafted by a select group of diamantaires, and are exclusively available in select Forevermark Jewelers.
• Shinola – Conceived in 2011 with the belief that products should be built to last, and they should be built in America, Shinola is proudly based in Detroit, MI. As a new company with a storied name, they stand for skill at scale, the preservation of craft and the beauty of industry.
• TUDOR – A premium Swiss watchmaking brand, TUDOR, draws on a rich heritage to offer outstanding quality and style. Registered in 1926 for Hans Wilsdorf, founder of Rolex, it relaunched in 2007 with a distinctive personality and a high level of independence in its design, manufacturing and communication.
The nominees for the GEM Award for Media Excellence are:
• Claudia Mata – After spending seven years at Town & Country, Claudia joined W as the Accessories and Jewelry Director in 2011. As Accessories and Jewelry Director, Claudia is responsible for spearheading all jewelry and accessories editorial. She covers the women’s accessory markets, fashion and jewelry/watch shows, and styles photo shoots. Claudia’s love of jewelry is displayed through a quarterly page in W entitled, “Claudia’s Jewelry Box.”
• Jack Forster – A longtime watch enthusiast, Jack’s interest in mechanical timepieces began with collecting and repairing vintage pocket watches. Currently the Editor-in-Chief of Revolution Magazine USA, he was a moderator on enthusiast Internet watch forums and has written about watches for a variety of publications, including Departures, ForbesLife.com, and Elite Traveller. He is the author of “Cartier Time Art”.
• Maria Doulton – Maria founded The Jewellery Editor (www.thejewelryeditor.com) in 2011 after many years as a freelance journalist specializing in watches and jewelry for publications, including the Financial Times, Intelligent Life, Wallpaper and Vanity Fair On Jewellery. As well as running The Jewellery Editor, Maria writes for Hello! Fashion magazine and website and TelegraphLuxury.com’s weekly jewelry and women’s watch column.
GEM Awards 2015, now celebrating its 13th year, will also honor a recipient in the category of Lifetime Achievement. The winner of the prestigious Lifetime Achievement award will be announced soon.
Tickets and sponsorship opportunities are now available at www.jewelers.org/gemawards.