The pandemic has led to a significant increase in the daily volume of packages shipped globally. This influx has resulted in delays for delivery. The shippers have possession of the packages for a much longer period of time, which increases the opportunity for a loss. This also makes it difficult for the sender to follow up with the recipient to confirm delivery.
Also, in an effort to keep the public and employees safe and adhere to social distancing guidelines many of the shipping companies have stopped obtaining signatures upon delivery. The lack of signatures opened opportunities for several issues to develop, like theft from door and no accountability on delivery, which make it hard to determine who is stealing these packages.
Tips for shipping jewelry this holiday season:
- Establish a new 2021-2022 shipping plan.
- Maintain a shipping log with dedicated staff that handles shipping. This includes packing and tracking the shipment and calling the customer to confirm delivery
- Communicate clearly with the customers regarding shipping terms and delivery dates.
- Insure high value packages and follow all safe packaging guidelines.
- Send the client the tracking number and ask them to make sure they are home for the delivery.
- Identify and report any missing packages as soon as possible, the quicker they are reported the more likely they can be recovered.
While some losses can be prevented, others cannot – the most important thing is to ensure the safety of employees and yourself. That’s why insurance for your inventory and business is so important.
Berkley Asset Protection has created a Safe Shipping Guide to help minimize shipping losses. View the Safe Shipping Guide (PDF Download).
For additional Loss Control tips, visit BerkleyAssetPro.com/Loss-Prevention.