(ATLANTA) – For the second year in a row, a jeweler from Athens, Georgia has won “Best of Show” in the Georgia Jewelers Association Annual Jewelry Design Contest. Held recently at the Callaway Gardens Resort in Pine Mountain, Georgia, the Design Contest took place April 19th during the Association’s Annual Convention.
This necklace, created by Paul Henriques, JWR Jewelers, Athens, GA, took Best of Show and Peoples Choice honors at the 2009 Georgia Jewelers Convention.
Best of Show, was awarded to Paul Henriques of JWR Jewelers in Athens. Henrique’s winning piece also received the People’s Choice award during the Sunday luncheon meeting. His winning design was a palladium and platinum necklace with pink tourmaline, yellow sapphire, rhodolite garnet and diamond. In 2008 his pendant inspired by a four leaf clover and containing a triangular cut ‘Maw Sit Sit Jade’ stone, tsavorite garnet and diamonds took the top prize.
As Best of Show, Henrique’s piece will be entered in the JA Show in New York next year.
Awards were given in four different value categories as well as Best of Show. The winning selections are chosen based on overall design, marketability, practicality and wearability, and craftsmanship. A panel of judges selected the winners for each category. Other category winners included:
- 1st place: Eddie Knox, Knox Jewelers, Atlanta – sterling silver brooch of a pair of zebras
- 2nd place: Jonathan Meadows Art Jewelers, Woodstock GA – antique silver fork forged into pendant holding red coral
- 3rd place: John Johnson, Edward Johns Jewelers, Marietta, GA – sterling silver and sapphire star ring
- 1st place: Mikheil Kautzengzhi, Tena’s Jewelry, Elberton, GA – 18K yellow gold pendant with diamonds, rubies, pearl and carved turquoise
- 2nd place: Jana Barry, Edward Johns Jewelers, Marietta, GA – sterling silver garnet and diamond pendant
- 3rd place: Kamal El Moukha, Rosenfeld Jewelry, LTD, Tucker, GA -14k white gold blue topaz and diamond ring
- 1st place: Mikheil Kautzengzhi, Tena’s Jewelry, Elberton, GA – 14K white, rose and yellow gold mother’s ring with white and yellow diamonds, ruby, blue topaz, peridot and carved turquoise
- 2nd place: Jonathan Meadows – 18K yellow gold with platinum reversible pink spinel and green diamond pendant
- 3rd place: John Johnson – 14K yellow gold diamond and fancy cut onyx pendant
- 1st place: John Johnson – 14K yellow and white gold diamond pendant
- 2nd place: Jonathan Meadows – 14K yellow gold gents snake motif ring with diamond and pearl
- 3rd place: Eddie Knox – 18K yellow gold amethyst and diamond pendant
Winners in each category received a plaque and the congratulations of the judges and their peers.
For details about Georgia Jewelers Jewelry Design Contest or for information about GJA, contact Judy Lince, executive director at 770-424-7567.