Berkley Asset Protection has provided a list of Holiday Security Tips to help retailers be ready for a safe and profitable holiday season by taking a few security precautions:
- False alarms: Respond to every alarm signal. Thieves may trigger your alarm repeatedly to lull you into believing the alarm system is faulty. Discuss repeated alarm signals with your alarm company.
- Security system tests: Check all alarm systems and the back-up radio or cell. Ensure that all systems are working properly. Not sure how to conduct a security system test? Ask your alarm monitoring company.
- Physical protections: Make sure all windows, doors, locks and protective devices are in good working order.
- New vendors: Be cautious of new vendors seeking to make large transactions.
- Travel exposure: Despite the holiday hustle and bustle, always be alert and follow security procedures when transporting jewelry locally or long distances.
- Increased foot traffic: Consider hiring seasonal security to prevent holiday theft.
- Inventory levels: Be aware of your changing inventory values and assure that you are carrying sufficient insurance limits for your business. Also, check your limits for out-of-safe and show window coverage when closed.
- Potential theft: Be vigilant for signs that someone is casing your business to commit theft, e.g., a new customer more curious about the store operations than items for sale or a visitor who fidgets, avoids eye contact, wears a large hat and sunglasses. Review your plan for these thefts. Make sure all employees know a predetermined phrase that alerts them to a potential threat without alarming customers. Employees should know the proper steps to take when the code phrase is used. Practice this before and during the holiday season.
Be proactive! Develop a plan and execute!