Due to continued fraudulent ordering schemes, the Jewelers Board of Trade (JBT) would like to once again draw your attention to the following advice to assist you in avoiding being scammed by unscrupulous operators posing as legitimate jewelers.
SPECIAL ALERT: If you are a vendor and you have a request from a customer to ship merchandise to a different location from a regular location established in the past, confirm the changed location with a known executive at the customer’s firm. Criminals use this method of a changed location to have goods sent to them fraudulently.
If you are a customer and your supplier asks you to pay by wire transfer or other method to a new account or send to a new location or affiliate company, be on alert for fraud and confirm the change with a known executive of the supplier.
Criminals are often able to obtain names and account numbers making their fraudulent requests for changes seem legitimate.
Don’t let fraudsters separate you from your valuable merchandise and hard earned profits. Here are a few reminders courtesy of JBT:
- BEWARE of individuals posing as principals of established companies, placing orders for delivery at a new/different address from that in your files or the JBT Credit Report.
- CHECK to be sure the individual placing the order is truly employed and authorized by the Company they represent themselves as associated with.
- CALL the Company to verify they are who they say they are.
- CHECK the JBT Credit Report.
- BE CAREFUL of a shipping address that is in a nearby location to the customer but not the same as in your files or JBT reports. “It’s a different ship to because we are opening a new store….” can be a tip off to a problem.
- BE SURE that CASHIERS CHECKS are not counterfeited before you ship merchandise – take them to the bank and verify.
- ALWAYS COMPARE purchase order information to your credit application/files and JBT Credit Report – check out differences before shipping.
- CALL JBT for help if you suspect a problem – 401-467-0055.
Since 1884, The Jewelers Board of Trade has served as the jewelry industry’s largest credit information resource, compiling data from member companies around the world, to deliver credit services for finding new customers, monitoring business partners and debt collection. For more information, visit www.jewelersboard.com, call 401-467-0055 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.