Reading Time: 2 minutes
Distraction theft continues to be a major problem for jewelry retailers. The Jewelers’ Security Alliance (JSA), a non-profit trade association providing crime prevention information and services to the jewelry industry since 1883, recommends the following to help prevent distraction theft.
- Distraction thieves often use the wrapping and boxing process as part of their ploy to steal merchandise. This is a critical time in the sales process from a loss prevention point of view, and close attention is needed. The sales associate must be the last person to examine and handle the box and to make sure the correct merchandise is inside. Do not let customers do the wrapping.
- Three or more customers entering together is a red flag.
- Customers flashing cash is a red flag.
- Customers who need to return to the car for their credit card is a red flag.
- Customers talking loudly, waving arms, and moving around to create confusion is a red flag.
For more information about the Jewelers’ Security Alliance or crime prevention information please call 800-537-0067, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.jewelerssecurity.org.